Meet Patti!

Friday, September 15, 2006

There Will Be Cake

As most of you know, my cousin Becky is an ICU nurse at KU Med. This month I am working on her unit. (Hehe) I have been learning a lot so far, but it hasn't been easy. When surrounded by extreme sickness and death, it is inevitable to consider one's own mortality. There were a couple of days that I questioned my belief in Western medicine. But I'm back on the wagon now, mostly because of one patient in particular. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say; not much I'm sure. Suffice to say he caught a nasty infection after a round of chemo and we all thought he was going to die. He said that he had that feeling of impending doom. The attending physician told us that when patients say that they're usually right. The priest came and everything.

He didn't die, at least not yet. We did a good job treating him for infection and sepsis (Xigris for the pharmacy geeks out there), so now he has about three months to live (cancer). The thing that had me mad was that he wouldn't have gotten the infection if it wasn't for the cancer treatment. So often treatment we give leads to a problem leads to another treatment and so on. What we need are more actual cures.

About the title: There was talk of an ICU wedding. Through the whole thing, especially when it got really bad, the guy kept saying "I just want to get married." I was promised cake.

3 Comments:

  • Glad to hear the patient is doing well thanks to your efforts! I hope he ends up getting married!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 15:23  

  • “So often treatment we give leads to a problem leads to another treatment and so on. What we need are more actual cures.”

    Are you suggesting that some responsible entity in our health care system is conscientiously withholding resources for cures in favor of developing treatments and the propagation of their need?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 15:27  

  • Not necessarily; it's just that we don't have very many curative treatments short of surgery,and I think that sucks. I don't have any suggestions about how to fix it. Allyn might have some ideas.
    As far as the wedding...we may never know. The guy was transferred out of the ICU this weekend. Good for him!

    By Blogger Patti, At 17:34  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home