Meet Patti!

Thursday, August 17, 2006

I'm Excited About...

Sufjan Stevens!

Last time I hung out with Myrinda she played some for me to sample. It sounded good. I'm pretty sure that Mikey recommended him too, and he probably hipped Myrinda to it.

Tonight I finally got around to really listening to his stuff just now. (A 10-12ish kid named Brad in my complex showed me how to download music. He is my wee friend.) I really like all that I have heard so far. It is mellow, but not boring. It keeps my attention. I put it in the same category as Andrew Bird because of the intrumentation, but it is slightly less weird, more folky, and maybe more melodic.

4 Comments:

  • I can't remember if I mentioned him to myrinda or not, BUT the person who recommended him to me is Malcolm. My favorite Sufjan songs are Casimir Pulaski Day and The Seer's Tower (Off Illinoise) and Variations on Commemorative Transifguartion and Communion At Magruder Park, which is a single. I haven't heard much off of Seven Swans, but what I have heard has been great.

    By Blogger ~mike, At 20:17  

  • sounds crappy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 07:49  

  • Well it isn't exactly tool...

    By Blogger Patti, At 13:07  

  • It definitely qualifies as chill music. If someone was primarily interested in hardcore, rock, punk, metal, or anything else that gets you going...they probably wouldn't like Sufjan Stevens.

    If they liked Josh Ritter, Nick Drake, Andrew Peterson, Denison Witmer, or singer songwriters or sad bastard music in general...then they might like Sufjan Stevens. Not that you have to neccesarily like any one of those people to like Sufjan.

    Sufjan has some very interesting arrangements and orchestration. I just ordered Seven Swans and he uses the Banjo alot on that album.

    By Blogger ~mike, At 13:49  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home