Meet Patti!

Monday, October 02, 2006

First Day VA Impressions

I started my rotation in Leavenworth at the VA (Veterans) hospital today. I spent ALL DAY in orientation and computer training, which was rather painful. I haven't seen any patients yet, but my preceptor seems really cool. I think it will be a good month. My goal is to decide if I want to work for the VA as a pharmacist or if I don't. I will know soon. I'm so excited!

Cons:
The pay is below average (for pharmacists anyway)
The good, clinical jobs are difficult to get, so I would HAVE to do a residency
There are a lot of weird little differences like having to take an oath on my first day
The hospital smells like feet
The place I get lunch is in the "dom" where I dine with psych patients and recovering addicts. Some of them are homeless and just need a place to stay. An anonymous friend of mine got her butt grabbed there. Ewww!
Most of the patients are men, so less diversity
Doing anything takes longer than it should because of all the bureaucracy

Pros:
I get my own office this month
Pharmacists have authority to write prescriptions (I crave power)
I'm planning to do a residency anyway
There are a lot of weird little differences like the fact that there are only 30 or so inpatient beds
The place is really really old and has cool architecture. There is a hallway I particularly like and will try to post a picture of.
Lunch is free, and I didn't get bothered today. Then again I was dining with my classmate, who is a dude.
The benefits are great and they pay back $50,000 in student loans

Today I'm leaning towards VA.

4 Comments:

  • I miss you already!! Good luck in the choosing. Much love my B-E-A-Utiful cousin!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 09:25  

  • I particularly like the benefits part Patti.....I think that doubles or triples any ONE of the cons.......also, I think you would qualify for a government pension after only 20 years. I think. worth checking! Smoooch

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 09:30  

  • Guess I never really thought about it before, but… I guess the VA is a federal department.

    Fed jobs will definitely take care of you in terms of extra-salary benefits.

    Glad to hear you're enjoying your new rotation (except for dis-orientation and computer training)!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 13:55  

  • Much good luck on the new trial job. Keep us updated!

    By Blogger ~mike, At 08:30  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home