Meet Patti!

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Spicy Salsa

This be the obligatory post about Salsa dancing. I thought about calling this "Chunky Salsa" but that really only applies to me, and therefore wouldn't be fair.

On Saturday night, I went Salsa dancing for the first time. I went with Becky, and we met a bunch of people there including: Lynn, Dave, their friend Will, Johnny, Ro.Lo, H-less Megan, and some of Ro's co-workers whom I just met. Missing (and missed) were Corey and Jamie, Brandon, Mimi, and Galan.

We went to the Westport Beach Club, which is attached to the Beaumont. It is an outdoor venue with a cabana type bar, a live band, and some sand volleyball courts. I can't quite figure that out.

The free Salsa lessons started at 8:30. I found them to be really helpful. I learned how to do the basic steps, and a simple spin. My dance partner, when we were learning the spin, was a regular. I'm not sure why he was at the lesson, but he just kept spinning me! It was a bit excessive. I felt like a top and got dizzy, but I learned the spin really well.

Later, when the crowds filtered in there was hardly an empty spot on the dance floor. The male/female ratio was overwhelming skewed. There were a lot of dudes. Mostly a lot of middle-aged Mexican dudes. Becky, my tall, blonde cousin broke many hearts that night. The offers to dance poured in, which was flattering in a way but then annoying in another.

The occasion gave me on opportunity to wear my sassy, pointy shoes AND hang out with a lot of cool people including Becky who I don't see often enough. I think that Salsa dancing is more of a date type activity than it is a going-out-with-friends activity. But I still had a great time. Yeah.

5 Comments:

  • Your next to last sentence? Yeah, that is why there are volley ball courts there. At least that's my guess. I found that when I went there the idea of salsa dancing awoke within me the kind of dread usually only reserved for people with phobias. I just saw all these good looking single people out there having fun with each other and all these creepy older guys trying to hit on girls half their age.

    I do like dancing, I think (I don't do it enough to say that honestly), but that night for whatever reason, the volley ball courts saved my life. Plus it was right in the midst of that summer/fall where we were all playing vball and so it just kind of felt natural.

    Bottom line:
    Dance floor=Very scarry
    Vball/sand court=Not intimidating

    It's kind of like the "chicken-out" exit right before you get on the roller coaster.

    By Blogger ~mike, At 06:01  

  • I think that my Kansas favourite drink will be... long island ice tea. Is it really made with liquor?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 07:44  

  • Spanish cowboy- Yes, almost entirely liquor. A splash of Coke. Long Island Iced Tea contains no tea.

    Gibranosaurus - The "kind of dread usually only reserved for people with phobias" part was maybe a touch extreme, but I hear what you're saying. I didn't realize that so many people would be paired up. I guess I thought it would be ok to dance in a group like every other club I've ever been to. But we were the only ones. I think that having a dance partner would make the whole experience much less intimidating.

    By Blogger Patti, At 12:47  

  • hey! i definitely think salsa dancing is a group activity--it's no fun when you go with a date because then you can only dance with the date. it's a great opportunity to meet creepy, middle-aged,mexican dudes! you girls (becky and patti) looked great out there. there are plans (with co-workers so far) to hit the dance floor again this month. i'll keep you posted.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 20:52  

  • Looked great when? When I was dancing with the guy who was so drunk that he could barely stand and kept staring at my chest? I don't know exactly how I got in to that situation. At least I didn't get body slammed like Megan did. Hehe.

    By Blogger Patti, At 20:56  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home