Meet Patti!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Evidence of my Redneck Heritage

I hope no one is offended by this post.

So I drove back to Marysville on Sunday night. I wanted to visit home one more time before school starts again. Plus, I had a few days off from work.
Ryan (my brofo) may want a ride to Topeka tomorrow, because he's looking to buy a new truck. That's all fine and well, but there's a red flag as to the kind of truck he wants. Ryan wants to buy a truck with a V8 and I don't mean the vegetable juice. Why does he want a V8? Because we're part redneck. He can't deny it. When I purchased my truck in November, I had the choice between 4 cylinder and 6. Knowing that I would get better gas mileage with the 4, I chose the 6 anyway. I think I subconsciously felt the need to represent. Also, I think my dad may have wanted to disown me if I didn't go for the power.

As I pulled into the driveway on Sunday night, I notice this:

Exhibit A - Behemoth in Driveway
Dad recently bought this 1978 masterpiece so that he can fish for days and days in style. What's missing from the picture is the satellite dish that goes on top of the RV. Also, I've just been informed that it has a 440 engine that is big enough to pull the boat, too. (Dad is reading this over my shoulder.)


Exhibit B - Miniature Horse in Backyard
Here we have Comet. He is NOT a pony. In fact, he takes offense. Comet is a miniature stallion. I mention him because my parents don't exactly live in the country anymore. Technically, they don't live in town either which is why it's ok to have a miniature horse in the yard. From time to time he escapes from his pen to terrorize the neighborhood and eat his fill of green grass. Mom and I are to blame for him, letting Dad off the hook for once. He's recently discovered that he LOVES apples. And it looks like he's due for a haircut.


Exhibit C - 1967 Dodge Power Wagon 4X4
The definitive workmen's truck. I'm pretty sure my dad has had this forever. It used to have a winch in the back that came in handy for cutting down trees, pulling vehicles out of ditches, and other such nonsense. He used to sell firewood. If anyone is wondering, no, that orange door isn't original. And no, it's not fuctional either. I remember fearing this truck as a child. It is so loud that you can't carry a conversation, and there are holes rusted through the floorboards.

Exhibit D - Family Reunion

Fair play to both sides of the family. This is my Mom's side at the lake this year. Beers + Trucks + Sun = The perfect day? A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.




Honorable mention: We have a neighbor across the road who likes to get drunk and shoot his gun. If anyone can think of something I'm forgetting, please let me know. I welcome new pieces of evidence.

1 Comments:

  • I get all of them except the miniature horse. Miniature Horse=Sophistication!

    Thanks for the awesome photos.

    By Blogger ~mike, At 06:15  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home