Meet Patti!

Friday, June 16, 2006

Trans-Europe Express

I made it to Sarajevo this evening. I was on the train for 13 hours! The bus ride back will only be 9.5 hrs, which I don't quite understand. It was miserable at times (some motion sickness, no a/c), but I have no regrets. It made me respect what Dad does even more, especially considering that I'm sure his seats are much less comfortable.

I wasn't expecting Bosnia to be just like Slovenia, but it is more different than I thought it would be. The countryside, for example, is nice at parts but is strewn with squalor more often than not. The Slovenian countryside looks like illustrations from a fairy tale. Bosnians are much less likely to speak English than Slovenes, which makes sense because Slovenia is a member of the EU. In Sarajevo, there is a mosque almost everywhere you look. And then there are the reminders of war: noticeable bomb damage and cemeteries full of graves from 1992-1995. These are the differences that stuck me immediately. I have only been here a few hours. I am fascinated by this part of the world's history. I didn't know much at all about it until the train ride afforded me to opportunity to read up. I bought Lonley Planet Western Balkans (specific!) and it has been most helpful. Anyway, I'm glad I have this blog, because I'm traveling alone this weekend and I need someone to share with. Thanks you guys!

2 Comments:

  • Glad to lend a listening ear...er, eye?

    By Blogger ~mike, At 13:10  

  • Yeah, I but his butt is sore!! All those long hours of haulin freight!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 15:46  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home