Meet Patti!

Friday, June 23, 2006

Sarajevo in Pictures


This is the Bosnian National Library which was burned by Serbian rebels in 1992. It is still in horrible condition, but maybe it will be renovated eventually. Here is a picture of the inside.

One of the many heaps of rugs for sale at the market.

The oldest part of the market at Baščaršija (the Turkishest quarter of Sarajevo). This market used to be used by silk traders passing through. Side note: I actually communicated the word Baščaršija to a taxi driver who then ripped me off, but then I ended up ripping him off by passing on a faulty bill someone had given me.

A typical shop in Baščaršija. The Turkish influence is very strong in Sarajevo. Ok, so I spent a lot of time shopping. Be ready: I bought some unusual gifts.

Just a shot of the street complete with scooter, mosque, and unsuspecting pedestrian.

Single serving friends I met on the tour offered by the gross hostel I stayed in. From left: Helen from Australia, Jesse from Montana, and Marin from Germany. We were watching the US vs. Italy soccer game.

A view of the hillside.

An aritsan at work. He's totally posing actually. He had just finished proudly showing me his picture in a book published by UNESCO World Heritage. I would be proud too.

Pigeon Square. I can't remember the Bosnian name.

Call me Jitters. This picture of a mosque at night had potential.

Again with the shaking or maybe its the lighting? This is the bridge where Austria-Hungarian Prince Franz Ferdinand and his wife were famously assassinated, triggering WWI.

There was some kind of honey festival and this guy was going from booth to booth on his scooter. And they say Americans are lazy.

A traditional Bosnian dish called Ćevapčići. Greasy, but delicious. For whatever reason, I have been drinking Cokes here. I don't drink them at home, except in calimochos. Maybe I feel the need to represent.

Cute house in the countryside. There were hundreds of stacks of hay like this one. Precious.

5 Comments:

  • fascinating pictures Patti. I miss you! (How are ever gonna keep a country girl home when she's seen so much of the big world?) Love you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 07:38  

  • Awwww, that was really sweet! *sniffle, tear*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 08:06  

  • Yeah, I'm even starting to tear up… but only because I decided to stick around KS for the summer instead of heading to Europe. -sigh- :D

    Pretty crazy that that was war-torn country (literally) just over 10 years ago. I wonder how vividly the people would remember it…?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 15:52  

  • Quite vividly. Everyone has a story, and most are willing to share. It was a fascinating trip.

    Dad- You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl.

    By Blogger Patti, At 06:01  

  • Thank you so much for sharing these wonderfull photos with us.
    I was born in Sarajevo, where I've left my soul. My body is in Melboune.
    Cheers,
    Sammy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 04:25  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home