Meet Patti!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Ro Pee

I have another lab story to share.
Yesterday my usual lab partner was out of town. Rocio, in all her generosity, agreed to switch days with her. So, for a limited time only, Ro.Lo was again my lab partner. This week was the diabetes section of this semester's lab. Some diabetics need to test their urine for ketones, and the instructors wanted us to be sympathetic. So, they made one of the partners donate a specimen. I called, "Not it!" VERY quickly. RoManian was a good sport and agreed to take one for the team. Then, the instructor informed us that the other partner (me) would have to test the urine. Bummer dude. RoBot left to do her thing, and I carefully read the instructions. She came back with a steaming plastic-beakerful of freshly voided urine. I put on some gloves and labeled the specimen "Ro Pee" just to avoid all confusion. When I opened the lid, we all got slapped in the face with the stench of acidic early morning hyper-concentrated urine. Also, it splashed a little onto the paper towel RoFo carried it with. Bonus. I couldn't help but ask myself "Why am I in this situation? Is there something I could have done differently? Why didn't I make Beth do this?" Part of the reason I chose pharmacy over another health care field was to avoid just this sort of thing.

10 Comments:

  • At least Ro had to go...hehehe....My partner and I had both gone just before lab, so we had to drink water until one of us had to go. My partner went first, but still didn't have very much, like only 20cc. Luckily for me, she handled her own 'test strip dipped in urine' and I just had to watch the clock.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 15:32  

  • Testing pee isn't that bad unless is has a foul odor. The absolute worse thing you can test and unfortunately have to collect is stool. There is some rank stool out there...i.e. c.diff and gi bleeds. Now that is worse than concentrated pee. Although there is some rank pee out there as well that could be compared to morning breath.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 22:15  

  • Was that anonymous comment by change left by an intensive care nurse?

    By Blogger Patti, At 13:20  

  • The anonymous comment was left by Ro's older sister. I worked in the ED for 5 years (two years as a PCT). I now work on a Telemetry floor. But I do have stories to tell on rank pee and rank stool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 03:05  

  • Cool!! I mean, cool that you commented on my blog, not cool that you have to deal with rank pee and stool. I'm guessing that because you've lived with Ro for so many years you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Hehe.

    By Blogger Patti, At 11:22  

  • This byfar has been one blog I can relate to on a professional level. The worse part of collecting pee, putting aside the bad smell it may have on certain occasions is when people don't clean up the speciman cup. Thank goodness for gloves or else an unsuspecting nurse or PCT may be touching a very wet cop. Yuck! By the way, I feel so horribly bad when Ro drops a silent but lethal one. I can attest that she can clear a room in 5 seconds or less. Warning: to the unsuspecting, innocent bystander...she tends to blame them if they are pretty rank. And they can be to the point you see gas fumes or haze. Stay away from Ro when she eats, eggs, onions, radishes, and beans. Sorry Poochi...as a nurse, it is my civil duty that I warn the public. My apologies ahead of time. I love you and BFF.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 22:03  

  • dude, what the heck?! why i am getting so much crap! the next time we have to do specimens of some sort i pick patti as my partner. she'll have to provide the specimen and i'm gonna make beth test it! and to my anonymous sister--quit leaving comments about my GI issues. i've got stuff on you too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 18:42  

  • Cat fight!! Bring it Ro.

    I also want to say that I'm glad your sister took it there and not me. I wanted to, but I fear you.

    By Blogger Patti, At 19:04  

  • Please forgive my sister, Ro. Her vocabulary is limited to just the word "dude." She may have more stuff on me but that's okay...her flatulance is far more worse than what she has on me. I still have that on picture that she forbids me to ever show. If you are interested...I am happy to email it. HA HA HA HA HA HA (maniacal laughter)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 02:32  

  • I'm soo totally interested! Is it Ro with a mullet?!?

    By Blogger Patti, At 14:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home