Meet Patti!

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Strange Errand

This morning at about 11 am, I was asked to run an unusual errand. The pharmacy stocks bourbon, and the supplies were running critically low. I was asked to run to the liquor store and purchase a fifth of Jim Beam. It just feels wrong to buy whiskey with petty cash. "Why does the pharmacy stock bourbon?" you might reasonably ask. I have been hard pressed to find a good answer to this logical question. The best explanation I've heard is that some elderly patients ask their doctor for a shot of whiskey to help them sleep. The hospital is happy to oblige. Oh yeah, the hospital I work at is in Wyandotte county (*what what!*) and the liquor store I went to (in the morning, wearing scrubs) is called "Little Joe's Gun, Pawn, and Liquor." Wow.

3 Comments:

  • ain't nuttin' but a g-thang!

    at least your hospital stocks the good whiskey--we have really crappy whiskey in the kc-mo. well, we did have some wild turkey recently. man, how awesome would that be if my rx stocked some jack or jim!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 21:29  

  • wait, wait, wait...jack daniels or jim bean? Good Whiskey? Ok, come on. If you all want to talk about good whiskey or bourbon, shouldn't we be talking about Old Rip Van Winkle, or Knob Creek, I'd even settle for Makers Mark. Even old sick people deserve something nice, wait-scratch that, especially old people.

    By Blogger ~mike, At 06:09  

  • Hey this is Melissa, from Chi Alpha and I have a confession I read your blog when I am at work at night. It keeps me awake when I dont want to be. I work as a nurse you know that, but we have alcohol at work for patients who are alcoholics, and we need to treat pain before getting them dry. For example a patient comes in and is drunk off his butt, and he is in need of life or death treatment. We know his history is he gets angry when his buzz dies. SO, in order for us to treat the problem we have to give him some alcohol in order to do what is going to save his life. I know it sounds crazy, but its true. I personally have had to do it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 23:24  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home