Meet Patti!

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Rude Awakening

Very early this morning, I was ripped from a REM cycle by the sound of my doorbell. I awakened in a state of utter confusion. It was completey dark. After putting on my robe, I peered out the tiny peephole into the hall. I saw what appeared to be at the time, a football player. What can I say, I was barely awake and not wearing my glasses. Then, I deliberated over what to do. I figured that whoever was outside my door was for some reason at the wrong apartment. But there was part of me that expected terrible news. With my heart pounding and my hands shaking, I cracked open my door. The man, NOT dressed as a football player, introduced himself as Officer NAME (I don't remember his name), from the police department. He was not in uniform. I stepped out into the hall. The light was blinding. He apologized for waking me, and proceeded to ask me some questions. "Have you been out tonight?" I told him that I had not, that I had just been sleeping. I'm sure it was painfully obvious. "Do you know anyone from TOWN (I think it best to edit out these details)?" I do not know anyone from there, but I do know a couple of people who went to junior college there. I told him their names. "Do you know anyone named NAME?" No, I told him I do not. The officer apologized again for disturbing me, and left. I then locked both of the locks on my door, and looked out the window. In the parking lot was a police car. There were three or four officers in and around the car. It looked as though they had someone handcuffed in the back seat, but I can't be sure. I saw a couple more policemen on the sidewalk going into other buildings. Before lying down again, I looked at the clock. It was barely 5 am. The whole thing was so surreal that when I woke up again, I wondered if it had all been a dream.

3 Comments:

  • Do you live near this AREA?

    http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/jun/28/naked/?breaking

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 15:23  

  • Wow. Yes, yes I do.

    I don't really know what to say, except for that I guess it's a good thing that I'm always so paranoid about locking my door. BOTH locks. Maybe three would be better...

    By Blogger Patti, At 15:48  

  • Oh yeah, TOWN = Hutchison

    By Blogger Patti, At 15:49  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home