Meet Patti!

Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Majestic Cliffs of Moher

Today I find myself in an internet cafe in Killarney, County Kerry Ireland. (Our B&B here is quaint and lovely. The room key is a skeleton key.) We went around the burren yesterday, and had a great time looking at all sorts of things from castles to early Christian ruins to a perfumery. Before we left that area for Killarney we stopped to see the popular Cliffs of Moher. This is what we should have seen:









But this is what we actually saw:


Nothing but the densest fog I've ever seen in my life! And so it goes.

All this sight-seeing has been by car, by the way, which is AWESOME. I have loved every minute of it, except the few when either Becky freaked out (understandably) or I hit a parked car. It's just a side mirror. No biggie. Also, that side was already scratched when we rented it. The roads are extremely narrow in places. The weirdest thing about driving on the left side of the road that I wasn't expecting is drifting. I tend to drift over to the left because I'm driving from the right side of the car. It is surreal. Turning is tricky, as the right turn is the one where you have to look for oncoming traffic and vice versa. I'm getting schooled in right and left. I'm catching on. We bought "L" decals which means student driver. That should help.

Today we visited the 15th cen. Ross Castle right outside Killarney. It is situated on a beautiful lake. We took the tour and saw the interior. A good time was had by all. Tonight no doubt Becky and I will go out the pubs and mingle with the locals again. Nearly everyone we've met so far has been incredibly friendly. As for now...nap time.

2 Comments:

  • Keep up the great posting. I like the pics and the immense feeling of inconsolable regret I feel about not being there :)

    By Blogger ~mike, At 16:43  

  • post more because i too regret not being there

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:35  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home