Meet Patti!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

India Update

I got a phone call from India the other night. The village (5000 people) is called Vellatur. As a side note, it was early morning there. There is a 9.5 hour time difference. I had no idea that there were time zones on this planet with a 0.5 hour difference. Very strange. Anyway, they had gotten up extra early to speak with me. I mostly talked with Rachel, a volunteer from Britain (I'm guessing from her accent). She had a lot of helpful information, including the recommendation that I buy saris and wear those while I'm in India. That could be fun, but I might feel like a complete tool. We'll see. I also spoke briefly with the pastor, who has a huge vision and a lot going on. The kids screamed hello to me, and some other stuff I couldn't quite understand. This is going to be awesome.

5 Comments:

  • Sounds like it :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 08:21  

  • Saris! Yes...maybe find the best one you know who sews and customize your colors. Very good idea. In both of my trips to foreign lands, I wore my own clothes, but chose wisely. And both times there were situations where it would have been better for me to be in what they were wearing.

    On a related but sideways note, have you seen the movies "Water" or "Born into Brothels"? I can often be accused of getting my information on life from the movies, but Water is based on a true story, and BIB is a documentary. They were heavy, but I really liked them. I would not suggest watching Kelly Kapoor's Dawali party, however. That would probably be less helpful.

    By Blogger Danafesto, At 07:02  

  • Yes, I saw Born into Brothels a couple years ago and I agree that it was heavy. I kind of like a depressing documentary every so often. I will have to Netflix Water. After that, I may need Kelly Kapoor's Dawali party to balance it all out! Or maybe a cheezy Bollywood movie.

    I haven't thought about this in a while, but speaking of Dawali...
    When I was a student, Meg(h)ans and I went to a Dawali festival on campus. It was fantastic! They had everything. I think that is where my obsession with India started.

    By Blogger Patti, At 07:31  

  • So there it is. You've identified the root of the psychosis, now if we could just isolate the problem area and prohibit intersectional communication, you might almost be said to be cured from the India thing.

    No, seriously though, I'm a small bit jealous and a very large bit excited for you. Keep up the updates.

    Oh, and I can second Water being a well made, absolutely gorgeous movie. Look for the scenes under the tree, you'll know them when you see them, and the scene at the festival of color, or whatever it is.

    By Blogger ~mike, At 15:09  

  • I don't know what I was thinking. I wasn't using "the smart part of my brain..." Kelly Kapoor's party would be a perfect splash of levity to balance your India preparation.

    Mike is so right. "Water" was gorgeous. Color! Thanks for reminding me...I especially remember the tumeric.

    By Blogger Danafesto, At 19:24  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home