Meet Patti!

Friday, December 23, 2005

White People are Mutants/Skin is Great

This is a story from the Washington Post although I originally heard about it on MSNBC about a week ago.

I. I find this story interesting because of the way it was presented on the news, although I must admit that I couldn’t resist the urge to write a post with this title. The news people were making a case for the end of racism based on the discovery that white skin color originally came from a single base mutation in the genetic code. Silly newscasters. Racism comes from irrational emotion, not from rational thought or science. Picture a redneck sitting in his Confederate flag covered living room drinking a beer and flipping through the channels while the Dukes of Hazard are on commercial. He comes across this story on MSNBC and changes his mind about black people. Not likely. Anyhow, there’s that.


II. As I was working at the hospital the other day and thinking of the news story (I find genetics interesting), I slammed my knuckle accidentally on the counter top as I was swinging my arm. It happens all the time; I’m a klutz. It hurt, but thanks to my hand’s protective covering of skin all I got from it was a little scratch after a couple minutes of seething pain. Skin is great. Our body’s largest organ keeps our temperature regulated and protects us from bacteria, viruses and mechanical stress. Skin also keeps our body water from evaporating, not to mention the sense of touch. Then there are the aesthetic qualities of skin. Beauty is skin deep, you know. Here’s to you, skin!

1 Comments:

  • WOW. Genuinely wonderful post.
    1. Link to interesting story. Check.
    2. Insightful commentary on said link. Check.
    3. Witty comment to wrap it all up-based on good observation and with a clever twisting of a common quote. Check.

    FANTASTIC!

    By Blogger ~mike, At 07:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home