Meet Patti!

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Overcooked Suppositories

No, this is not a euphemism.

A small fraction of pharmacy school is "compounding lab" where we learn to make different drug forms. This semester we've made powders, capsules, creams, emulsions, gels, suspensions, solutions, and lastly suppositories. This lab is precious.

This morning was the lab practical for rectal suppositories. No big deal right? I've done this before. Everything was going fine until I took my suppositories out of the refrigerator. (Let me just say that by "my suppositories" I mean the ones that I had compounded. They don't let us keep them.) They looked cracked and strange. When I took them out of the mold, they looked like they would crumble of you glared at them in just the right way. Not very user-friendly. Apparently, I had overheated the base during the melting process in my haste to finish early. Oops. I had another hour and could have made them over, but unfortunately we have reached the point in the semester when I no longer care. Take my "A". Just get me outta here.

7 Comments:

  • Ha Ha Patti!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 06:14  

  • a suppository is not something to be rushed. it takes a slow hand, an easy touch. it needs somebody who will spend some time. well, i offer this advice from experience--from a friend to a friend. corey's cracked too--they weren't so pretty this time! later dudes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 22:30  

  • yeah, cracking suppositories... not so much. Try shoving something that isn't "solid" past somebody's anal sphincter. Maybe a little more effort Miss Patricia. Take my advice. I'm a nurse!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 07:33  

  • did i mention how much more difficult it is to put a suppos in a CLENCHING anal sphincter??? Somehow the word "relax" only makes it tighter!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 20:19  

  • my respect to all the nurses out there...well, most of them--for dealing with clenching sphincters, orifices, and all the other bodily fluids you encounter. thanks to you all i will never have to deal with that...well, that on some stranger. HAPPY NURSES WEEK!!! (or month--i forget which)

    word

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 21:41  

  • Yes, happy Nurses' Month/Day indeed!!

    By Blogger Patti, At 08:53  

  • Didn't even realize we had day/month set up to honor us. Guess that gives me an excuse to celebrate! Maybe I'll go to the bar when I get off.. at 8 in the morning.. hmm...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 18:58  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home